Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I just remembered...


As I sat reminiscing today, I thought about a convocation years ago at Hartford City High School where I was invited to sing a solo. It was a religious convocation (In a public school, no less!) that occurred at Easter circa 1962.

It was arranged that Ann Clamme, a dear friend and classmate, would accompany me on piano.

The song was unfamiliar to me (I can't remember to this day the name of it), but after several practice sessions with Ann prior to the performance, I became confident that I could handle it. After all, I was an upper classman, had had plenty of solo experience, and felt ready to perform when the big day arrived.

Convocations at HCHS were pretty big deals. The entire student body (grades 7 through 12) were in attendance. During religious ceremonies, the gymnasium became almost sanctuary-like as students were solemn and respectful under the watchful eye of the many teachers and administrative officials who attended.

The message was presented, the closing prayer was offered, and, on cue, the moment came for my solo that would serve as benediction. Ann began the piece flawlessly; opening with an introduction that would, under normal conditions, set the mood for a reflective, grand arrangement designed to complement the tenor of the service. The introduction ended; Ann waited for me to begin. Silence. Ann re-played a bit of the introduction; again, she waited for me to start. More silence. After the third start of the introduction, my mind was reeling, "What is", I asked myself, "the first line of that song???"...

The piano was situated behind me as I stood facing the expectant faces of my audience. After it was clear that I hadn't a clue about where to start, solemn faces turned to nervous glances and muffled giggles. There was a rippling in the crowd that suggested Ol' Dave was having a "senior moment" (and I was only 16 years old). What to do?

The show must go on. Without hesitation, I turned and walked back to the keyboard to look over Ann's shoulder to prompt myself on those elusive lyrics. "Ahhhh," I thought, "that's what I'm looking for!" Again, we began. Ann played, I sang, convocation over.

My next scheduled class that day, after the convocation, was study hall. Study hall was a large room filled with students from all grade levels and tended that day by Mr. David Dick. Mr. Dick taught mathematics and, uncharacteristic of his professional teaching choice, had a light and delightful sense of humor. I was a little late that day in arriving at study hall having had to change out of my choir robe, put my music away, retrieve my books from my locker, and head on down to class.

I reached the rear door of the study hall and saw the huddled masses...a sea of my peers facing forward and settling in for an hour of quiet time before their next class. With their backs to me, I could slide unobtrusively into my seat forgetting the horrors that occurred a few moments before in the gym. However, as soon as I entered the room, Mr. Dick, in his inimitable style, called out from the front of the room, "Hey, look everyone!!!", cried Mr. Dick in a loud and clear pronouncement, "If it isn't ol' Cue-Card McIntire!"

That moment will never leave me.



No comments:

Post a Comment