Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bone weary...


What a long day this has been...it is the last night of Finance for Managers (MGT524); a six week intensive course I'm teaching which trains non-financial managers in the finer points of finance. While the students work hard, there is so much preparation work needed to bring everyone up to the same starting point. The students are adult learners and they bring a great deal of work experience into the classroom. However, being adults they are extremely conscious of doing their work well. The most difficult part of the course is designing tests that are fair, balanced, and test the knowledge the students gain in class. I contend that tests produce a higher anxiety level in adult learners than in traditional students (I have taught both); and, frequently, that anxiety gets in the way of the adult's performance.

So, tonight's the night. I have prepared a quiz (their second one, by the way) to measure what they know on present value (time value of money), bond valuation, stock valuation, and capital budgeting. We have covered numerous examples in class, performed dozens of in-class examples, and provided the opportunity for group work outside the classroom to reinforce concepts. Tonight I discover whether it's paid off.

I love teaching. I love the moment where a light bulb appears when a student grasps a concept. I love it when, at the end of the course, one tells me that there was so much practical information gained by taking the class. I love it when they tell me that this was one of the best courses they have ever taken. I live for those moments. I teach for those moments.

So, what will it be tonight? This class has the savvy, but lacks confidence. I've done all that I can; discussed bond valuation from every angle; and have enjoyed these folks immensely.

Regardless of their test scores tonight, I'm encouraged that they are taking the course seriously. It speaks of their character and their desire to do well. Any of these folks will make some employer very fortunate. I am humbled to have served in this way.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. It was a nice way to spend some time this evening over a hot cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete